Deadline for Submission – Jan. 2, 2019
The mission of SPR is to create a network of multidisciplinary researchers to improve child health. Implicit in our mission is our foundational commitment to supporting the success of young investigators in child health research through activities that include facilitation of connection with peers, potential collaborators and national mentors. This year we are continuing this program, which was initiated in 2017, to achieve this goal.
The SPR Pediatric Research Physician Scientist Award supports transitioning pediatric physician scientists who have submitted a K08 or K23 award, which although not funded, may be potentially competitive on resubmission to the NIH.
The support mechanism consists of $40,000 awarded to the sponsoring institution with no indirect costs. The sponsoring institution and Department must match the $40,000, thereby constituting $80,000 of the awardee support for one year. Salary support is the preferred mechanism of support though alternative uses of awarded funds may be considered on a case-by-case basis if justification for the use of funds for non-salary-related costs (which must be provided by the awardee) is approved by the SPR Awards committee. In all cases, at least 75% protected research effort must be assured. The award does not allow for fringe or indirect costs and these costs should be covered by the institution from separate sources. The $40,000 will be dispersed in two 6-month installments. If the awardee receives a K-grant during the first 6-months, the awardees become ineligible for the final 6-month installment and the remaining funds will be offered to the runner-up.
1) MD and/or MD/PhD applicant who is an SPR member or SPR junior section member (rolling admission for SPR junior section applicants is available).
2) K08 or K23 application summary statement dated within the 2 calendar years of this RFA.
Application Requirements. A Letter of Intent signed by the applicant and sponsoring department chair should be submitted by January 2, 2019. The Letter of Intent should include the following:
1) Agreement by the sponsoring department/institution to match the SPR award and to contribute the total amount to salary and/or research program of the awardee.
2) A statement assuring that the awardee will have 75% effort protected for research during the award year.
3) Specific Aims page of the supporting K08 or K23 application.
4) Summary Statement from the review of the supporting K08 or K23 dated January 1, 2017 or later.
5) Commitment from the applicant to provide SPR with requested updates on the outcome of the revised the K08 or K23 application submitted by the applicant after receipt of this award.
Based on review of the letters of intent, finalists will be chosen to submit a full package which will include the previously submitted K-award application, cover letter on how the support will be used for 12 months, and specific plans on how the applicant plans to revise the K-award application. An awardee will also be invited to present his/her research as part of the SPR Presidential Scientific Plenary. Finalists and awardees will be recognized at the SPR Awards luncheon of the PAS meeting. There will also be opportunity for finalists to be matched to national SPR mentors within the Young Investigator Coaching program of the SPR, if desired.